Everybody has heard at least once in their life how important it is to take care of their bodies. Ideally, you will take this advice and do what you can to ensure you stay healthy, but not everyone is able to commit to doing so. Over the years, you may have focused on how to keep your entire body in good shape, but when was the last time you made an effort to protect your eyes and keep them healthy?
If you are looking to improve your eyesight and maintain proper eye care in Cape Cod, MA, there are several lifestyle changes that you can make:
- Exercise: Although exercise is one lifestyle change that can really affect a person’s weight, it can also have a positive impact on your vision and the overall health of your eyes. Over the years, there have been various studies that have helped doctors determine what exercise can do for your eyes. It was discovered that regular exercise can lower the risk of age-related macular degeneration, which can cause vision loss.
- Wear sunglasses: When most people go outside and find that it is sunny or bright, they will quickly put on a pair of sunglasses. If you haven’t invested in a pair of quality sunglasses, it may be wise to do so. Not only can sunglasses allow you to see better while you are in the sun, but they can also shield your eyes from the sun’s harmful rays and help you avoid other serious eye problems, like cataracts.
- Watch your diet: In today’s world, eating a healthy, balanced diet is not the easiest. With so many sweet, greasy and salty foods luring you in everywhere you go, you may not be able to keep yourself from overindulging. You probably already know that this food is bad for your weight, but it is also bad for your eyes. If you change your diet and eat a bit healthier, you’ll actually lower your risk of cataracts and have the added bonus of better weight management.
- Avoid smoking: If you are already a smoker, you will want to consider cutting back as much as possible until you can completely quit. If you don’t smoke, continue to resist picking up this unhealthy habit. Smoking can lead to various problems with your eyes, which is why you will want to quit as soon as possible. Should you continue to smoke, you may start to see changes in your vision that may not be fixable.
- Limit computer usage: Depending on the type of work you perform, you may be on a computer for most of the workday. If possible, you should limit your computer usage and how long you are staring at the screen, because it can really damage your eyes. It can dry your eyes out, lead to blurred vision and affect your ability to focus on things off in the distance.
When you think about your overall health, you may not have considered how important your eyes are, especially if there are other issues you have been focused on. You may have been taking your eyes for granted, but it is not too late to change your lifestyle and keep your eyes healthy. It a decision that could prove to be wise years down the line.
Have questions about proper eye care in Cape Cod, MA or need an eye exam? Schedule an appointment with the experts at Bayview Optometrics by calling us today.