If you rely on glasses or contacts to see clearly, you might be wondering if there are any things you can do to slow the natural degradation of your eyesight, or even improve your eyes naturally in Cape Cod, MA.
While a degradation in eyesight is totally normal with age, it is increasingly common in people who work in computer-heavy professions. Thankfully, there are a number of things that savvy eye care patients can do to nudge natural eye correction in Cape Cod, MA along.
Your eyes are complex, highly sensitive organs that need lots of vitamins and regular exercise to stay healthy. Because your eyes are so closely tied with your body’s central nervous system, sudden problems with your eyesight may indicate more serious underlying conditions. It’s important to know how to care for your eyes, and look out for the warning signs of eyesight-related conditions.
Here are just some of the things you can do to improve your eyesight, or slow the loss of eyesight you may be experiencing:
- Get your vitamins and veggies: Vitamin A is essential for eye health, which is why it’s so important to make vegetables like carrots and peppers a part of your daily diet. Omega-3 fatty acids are also important for eye health, so you should consider adding flax seeds and salmon to your plate.
- Stay on your workout routine: Conditions associated with carrying extra weight can cause eye problems. Diabetes, in particular, causes premature macular degeneration. High blood pressure is another common cause of eyesight issues in overweight and obese people. Staying fit can help you protect your eyes and keep them healthy for as long as possible.
- Wear protective eyewear: Most eyesight-related problems don’t stem from health; instead, they’re caused by accidents. Wear protective eyewear whenever you’re working or biking. Never forget to put on sunglasses when you’re going to be spending a lot of time out in the sun.
- Quit smoking: Everyone knows that smoking is bad for your lungs and heart, but did you know that tobacco is also damaging to your eyes? Cataracts and macular degeneration are just some of the eye-related conditions that cigarettes and other forms of tobacco might lead to over time.
- Keep hands and lenses clean: Eyes are covered in a semi-permeable membrane, which makes them particularly susceptible to infection and bacteria. Make sure your hands are always exceptionally clean when touching your eyes, and make sure you thoroughly disinfect your contact lenses before putting them in.
For more than two decades, Bayview Optometrics has been a trusted optometrist serving Cape Cod and the surrounding areas. If you’re looking for help performing natural eye correction in Cape Cod, MA, consult with one of our friendly, knowledgeable experts. We can help you find glasses or contacts that will slow the degradation of your eyesight, and help you see clearly in any conditions. Be sure to ask us about nutrition, exercise and eye care tips that you can follow to improve your eyes naturally in Cape Cod, MA.