If you’re sick of wearing glasses or contacts, you might have heard from friends and family that LASIK is a great option. As much as eyeglasses are seen as a fashion accessory these days, the fact is that having impaired vision can be a pain. The idea of removing the need for eyewear can be an exciting prospect for many. LASIK is safe, effective and requires minimal healing time. However, it is still a surgery that requires careful consideration.
What is LASIK?
LASIK eye surgery uses a laser to reshape the cornea. This allows the light entering the eye to properly focus on the retina, so that your vision is clearer. It takes about 15 minutes, is basically pain-free and requires only a few days for your vision to fully stabilize after the procedure.
The pros and cons of LASIK in Cape Cod
The following are the pros of LASIK:
- No more glasses or contacts: Whether you’re tired of the way you look in glasses, hate putting in (or can’t wear) contacts or simply wish to have the freedom to enjoy your favorite sports, having improved vision via LASIK can be life-changing for many.
- Fast and easy: With the majority of LASIK surgeries taking only 15 minutes and being relatively painless, it’s a surgery that can be easily scheduled, and the recovery time is minimal.
- A permanent solution: Unlike with glasses and contacts, LASIK is a permanent vision solution that can cut down on the cost of eye exams, corrective aids and other costs associated with having impaired vision.
LASIK does have some drawbacks, including:
- It’s an investment: The cost of LASIK can be prohibitive for some, which is why many LASIK providers offer financing plans. While it’s an investment, many people find the benefits outweigh the cost.
- It’s not a miracle cure: While your vision should be drastically improved, you may still need glasses for certain tasks, such as reading, driving or other activities that strain your vision.
- There are some risks: As with all surgeries, no matter how safe and efficient, there are risks associated with the procedure. These include dry eyes, flap complications, glare or a halo effect and even the need for a second surgery. Talk to your doctor about which side effects are most likely to affect you.
When you’re ready to learn more about what LASIK can do for your individual vision needs, be sure to call the team at Bayview Optometrics.
Get the facts about LASIK in Cape Cod
For more than two decades, Bayview Optometrics has been a trusted optometrist serving Cape Cod and the surrounding areas. If you’re looking to find out more about the pros and cons of LASIK in Cape Cod, consult with one of our friendly experts. We can help you find glasses or contacts that will slow the degradation of your eyesight, help you decide whether LASIK surgery is right for you and ultimately help you see more clearly in any conditions. Call us today to find out more.